Thursday, October 18, 2007

diane ackerman has gotten into my head!

she didn't really. she's just who she is, and damn her for that. several years ago i read A History of the Natural Senses, and thought, "I want to write like this someday!" but alas, i've twiddled my thumbs because i've only wanted to write what i want to write instead of being a gun for hire so haven't advanced -- not a big deal when you're working on your craft. but a word for the wise: do your homework before beginning a project. it might save you from copying someone else's work.

every time i pass the sinai hospital in beverly hills, jealousy hits my heart like a brick because i didn't become the doctor i'd wanted to be when i was in grade school. second grade hit, i decided to be a writer and boom! all hopes of earning an md vanished! then earlier this week it hit me. it's a ittle too late for med school but maybe i should be writing about my obsession with the brain. i'll do for the brain what ackerman did for the senses. however, before i begin this endeavor of combining medical research with poetic prose, smart girl that i am, i google diane ackerman. her prose illuminates scientific and natural elements like nothing else that i've written (besides mary roach - another writer whose taken my obsession with physiology to another level). but i've been a little out of the literary loop, i see, because in 2004 she published An Alchemy of Mind -- pretty darn close to my idea. so close in fact that it would probably be plagarism for me to attempt to write it. and besides, Alchemy is now on my TO READ list. now i don't know whether i should feel flattered that i'd share an idea with such a beautiful writer or depressed because it's too little, too late.

ah well. i'll crawl back into the world of fiction and emerge with another idea soon enough -- probably right after someone else publishes something with the exact same content. lerg*^!

No comments: